Monday, October 17, 2005

The Weekend From Hell

On Thursday night, I went to Tulsa to visit friends and babysit their kids so they could have a romantic getaway. We got up early Friday morning and took the kids to school so I'd know where their school was to go pick them up. They were supposed to leave at 10. At 9:30, the school called. One of the lovely little children had a fever and needed to be picked up. We picked him up, they left. I explained to him that since he came home sick from school, he had to stay in bed all day. That idea didn't sit well with the 6 yr old with ADD, but alas, I'm bigger than him, so he did it. I stayed in the living room and napped. He came in every 45 minutes to ask what time it was, and remind me that we had to go pick up is 4 yr old sister at 2:45. Finally I told him, look dude, it's okay, I'm not going to forget her. We made it to the school on time and picked up little sis, and all was good. Little sis does have a bit of an attitude though. We got back to the house and started a movie. Sis wanted to turn the lights off, I didn't let her. Sis went ran to her bedroom crying, stood in the doorway and screamed, "You're not my friend anymore!", and slammed the door. It was so cute! It cracked me up. My mom came and picked up the kids around 9, and I was free to go.

Since I was in Tulsa, I went to my brother's to spend some time with my adorable niece. She's 2 1/2, and she gets so excited when she sees me. It makes me feel so good. So, we were hanging out and watching TV and being stupid. Before I knew it, it was a quarter to midnight, and I was like, holy crap, I have to go home! See, we have 4 dogs at home that needed to be cared for. Anyway, my sister-in-law convinced me that the dogs would be fine and that it would be safer for me to wait until morning to go home. Boy, am I glad she did. I had a blowout on the turnpike on the way home. Cars where whizzing past me at 75 mph, and I was sitting on the ground, changing a tire for the first time. Ever. In my life! It was so scary and stressful, but I didn't cry. It's the first time ever something has gone wrong with my car and I didn't cry. No one stopped to help me. What ever happened to chivalry? It only took me 15 minutes to change it, and I was back on the road. I got off the turnpike at the next exit because I didn't want to drive 75 on a donut, and I didn't want to slow up traffic. I got lost. The trip home that should have taken me an hour and a half ended up taking almost 3 hours!

When I got home, the dogs were fine by the way, I realized that somewhere between giving the kids to my mom and getting home, I lost $20. That may not seem like much to some of you, but to me, $20 is a LOT of money.
Now that made me cry.