Google
 

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Time Magazine's All-Time 100 Best Films List

Time Magazine came out with this list. Here's my take on it:

  • It's a long list.
  • I've only seen 10 of the films on the list.
  • I'm going to rank the ones I've seen.

    1. Lord of the Rings (trilogy)

    2. Star Wars (trilogy)

    3. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

    4. Pulp Fiction

    5. Pinocchio

    6. Finding Nemo

    7. A Streetcar Named Desire

    8. Taxi Driver

    9. Goodfellas

    10. King Kong (only made the list because I know I've seen it, even if I can't remember it)

  • They grouped trilogies together as one instead of counting each installment of the trilogy as a separate film.
  • I'm going to make up my own list.
  • The 10 from their list that I've seen aren't all going to make my list.

Presenting...
Amanda's All-Time 102 Best Films

This, like most things, is relative, and applies mostly just to me.


Almost Famous - Made me want to report for Rolling Stone.
American Beauty
American Graffiti - Great 60's coming of age story.
American History X - Great story about how people can change & how your choices effect everything.
American Pie - Porky's for my generation.
An Officer and a Gentleman - An excellent love story.
Annie - First movie I ever saw in the theatre.
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery - Yeah baby.
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Austin Powers in Goldmember - Austin & Dr. Evil brothers? Who knew.
Back to the Future
Batman
Beauty and the Beast
Benny and Joon
Best in Show
Big Fish - Wonderful fantasy. Great story about different perspectives.
The Blair Witch Project - Scared the crap out of me.
The Blues Brothers - They were on a mission from God. How could you not love that?
The Breakfast Club - Saturday detention wasn't like this at my high school.
Bring It On - Made me want to be a cheerleader.
A Christmas Story
Dazed and Confused - Great 70's coming of age story.
Dirty Dancing - Great 60's coming of age story.
Drop Dead Fred - Made me want an "imaginary" friend.
Edward Scissorhands
Empire Records - Made me want to work in a record store.
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Field of Dreams - Great baseball story/history lesson.
Finding Forrester
Forrest Gump - I don't know how this movie could not be on everyone's top 100 list.
The Fox and the Hound
Friday the 13th - Scared the crap out of me.
Full Metal Jacket
Ghost
Ghostbusters
Gladiator - I have Brion to thank for this one.
Good Will Hunting
Gone in 60 Seconds - Made me want to steal a car.
Grease - Introduced me to John Travolta; made me want to be Sandy.
Gremlins
Heathers
Home Alone
Jaws
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Interview With the Vampire - Made me want to be a vamp, just a little bit.
Jumanji
The Karate Kid
Kill Bill Volume 1
Kill Bill Volume 2
A Knight's Tale - Heath was so hot in this one.
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - The only time I've ever found Sean Connory sexy.
A League of Their Own - Rosie's first movie.
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Man Without a Face
Mary Poppins
Monsters, Inc.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding - Made me want to be Greek.
Napoleon Dynamite - Everyone either is or knows someone like Napoleon.
National Lampoon's European Vacation - I learned so much from this movie.
The Neverending Story - Wonderful fantasy.
Ocean's Eleven
Office Space
Peter Pan
Porky's
Pretty Woman
The Princess Bride - I didn't rank the others, but this one is definitely #1.
Pulp Fiction
Rain Man
Reservoir Dogs
Rocky
The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Who wouldn't want to spend a fun filled night in Dr. Frank's castle?
Scream
Searching for Bobby Fischer - Introduced me to chess.
Shrek
The Silence of the Lambs
Singles
The Sixth Sense - Scared the crap out of me.
Sleeping Beauty
Snatch
The Sound of Music - Some of the best music I've ever heard.
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - An instant classic.
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
Superman
To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar - Patrick Swayze & Wesley Snipes in drag; who could ask for anything more.
Top Gun - Introduced me to Tom Cruise & Val Kilmer.
Toys
The Truman Show - Jim Carrey's best movie.
Unbreakable - It's like Superman in the real world.
Wayne's World - Party time! Excellent!
West Side Story - Oh, the tragedy!
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Where the Heart Is
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - I wanted to be Charlie after he found the golden ticket.
The Wizard of Oz
Young Guns
Young Guns 2