Google
 

Thursday, March 25, 2004

I went to a forum today about the proposed Oklahoma Education Lottery. Governor Brad Henry spoke about how it will pay for early childhood and higher education. Oklahoma is only 1 of 11 states without a lottery. Also, he said that in the proposal, a minimum of $250,000 is earmarked for gambling addiction education and support. Oregon has roughly the same population as Oklahoma, and they have made over $1 billion in education improvements. Along with the lottery is a proposed constitutional amendment that would prevent the legislature from backdooring general funds out of education and being replaced by the lottery revenues. I know this was one major concern of a lot of people. Channel 5 was there, and asked me what I thought about it. I told them that I liked the idea, and that anything that makes Oklahoma smarter is a wonderful idea. I was supposed to be on the 5 o'clock news tonight. I don't know if I was or not, though, because I was working.